‘Prudent Knowledge’ is a blog which deals with Public Engagement with Science and Media Literacy. Our goal is to open the black box of Science in order to enable the citizens to establish a more realistic and confident relationship with it. In this sense, our blog emphasizes themes of Bioethics, science media representations and the sociology of scientific knowledge.
Nominated at 100 Plus Brazil, as one of the best ideas of 2011, by Reader’s Digest Magazine, Brazilian version.
All the photos in this blog are copyleft.
About the author
- Claudio Cordovil is Researcher in Public Health at Fundação Oswaldo Cruz.
- He is also a professional journalist specialized in Science and Culture, awarded with the José Reis Award of Scientific Journalism, given by CNPq.
- Master’s and Ph.D. in Communication and Culture at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ).
- Post-doctorate in Scientific and Technological Communication and Information in Health (Fiocruz).
- Research interests: focus on the interface between media studies and studies of science and technology (particularly related to biomedical research, life sciences and public health), and in the fields of political sociology (democracy, citizenship and public participation in spheres of the environment and health), bioethics and social and cultural theory.
- Part of their Doctorate was held at Center for Social Studies at Coimbra University (Portugal), directed by Boaventura de Sousa Santos, with a grant of Federal Government (Capes).
- Professional experience in Science Journalism, cultural journalism and media relations.
- Free lancer to most important Brazilian newspapers, among them, O Globo, O Estado de Sao Paulo, Gazeta Mercantil and Valor.
- Ex-editor of Science and Health at the portal Globo.com.
- Editorial consultant and translator in the field of science communication.
- He was a consultant to federal government in the field of S&T (Ministry of Health).
- Founder of the Instituto Franco Basaglia, involved with the promotion of civil rights of mentally-ill persons.
- Blogger since 2001.